I first heard of Happy Endings from the Totally Laime podcast where Elizabeth Laime had Casey Wilson on. I actually watched the pilot because I wanna see Wilson. Why she was kicked out from SNL, I’ll never understand because that woman is funny. If you haven’t seen it, the show should be available in Hulu, just look it up. And if you need reasons to see it, let me give you some:
- It’s like watching Friends – and let’s be honest, don’t you miss Friends? Fine, it’s not the same, but this really takes the edge off, and soothes that itch that cannot be scratched away. But let’s compare: Friends is NYC, Happy Endings, Chicago; both have six friends compromised by three guys and three girls; Friends all white folks, Happy Endings more multi-cultural; both started with a bride running away from a wedding.
- Penny Hartz – played by Wilson. She plays the single gal, and who doesn’t love a single gal? We all have one of those in our group of friends. She dated a guy named Hitler, and she considered hyphenating her name if she ever marries this guy: Penny Hartz-Hitler. Yes, hilarious.
- Dave and Alex – the series is probably going to revolve around them and their relationship. One indication of this is both are played by painfully pretty actors. They both have faces that you put on empty picture frames when you buy them from your local craft stores.
- Crazy Jane – Alex’s older sister. If I get to choose to be one of the characters, it’ll be her. She’s a control freak, she’s very competitive and she’s a fun drunk. I’m all that.
- Black Brad – the show has a token black guy! As one of the main characters! On a major tv network that’s not BET! America is moving strides with its diversity. Felt that? That’s my eyes rolling.
- Max – he looks like a fat Paul Rudd or a chubby Chris O’Donnell. That alone, I’m sold. He looks like a fraternity guy, but his character is gay. He’s breaking every stereo-type, so I’m all for that too 🙂
Technically, I shouldn’t really need to make a case for the show – I heard it’s already renewed for a second season. Yay.